Glasses left with dirty marks after being washed in Dishwasher
When you have washed your glasses in a dishwasher you do not expect them to look marked or dirty, with residues in the bottoms. This is not the fault of your dishwasher but can be caused by any one of the following:
- Glasses not loaded properly or being allowed to lay on their side. This means not only that the water jets cannot reach them properly, but that food deposits can be washed from other dishes and be trapped in the bottom of the glasses.
- The spray arms are blocked or obstructed. When loading the dishwasher you must check that the spray arms can fully rotate and are not obstructed by a larger object. If this is the case you will need to do a bit of repacking to ensure the spray arm is free. If the arm is not allowed to fully rotate some of your dishes will not even get wet enough for them to be cleaned at all let alone properly. Also you should check regularly that the spray arms are not blocked by debris, rice is a real culprit here. Just remove the arms as described in your manufacturer’s handbook, rinse under a hot tap to ensure that the openings are not blocked. Once you have cleared any blockage, simply replace. This will ensure that the washing cycle will operate correctly.
- Water temperature too low. Glasses will generally be cleaned correctly on a lower temperature wash but if you mix glasses with other items, such as saucepans, plates etc. you will need to use a higher temperature wash. You should really select a programme which will clean the dirtiest item you wish to wash, generally a saucepan or casserole dish.
- Correct detergent doseage. If you are using a loose powder detergent, you may not have used sufficient detergent for the load. The more dishes you are washing, the more detergent you will need to use. It may be simpler to switch to a tablet or gel cap detergent form, this will ensure the doseage is correct and it is usually easier to store these types of product.
- If your glasses are marked, it may be a good idea to check the filters in the base of the appliance are clear, otherwise dirt can be recycled from the filter into the clean dishes. It is a good idea to regularly check the filters, as it is a good way to keep your dishwasher working efficiently.
If you follow the above suggestions, you should see an improvement in the finish of your glasses.
You can remove the marks from your glasses by hand washing with hot soapy water, they may also need a bit of scouring for the stubborn marks, but no lasting damage has been caused.