Carbon Monoxide Alarm
As summer approaches, it is often the case that your mind is focused on outdoor activities, holidays or gardening.
While this is of course completely natural it is still very important to remember that home and family security should still be an important factor not to forget. Incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning remain high throughout the summer months but this is also a time when sales of the important carbon monoxide alarm fall, indicating the matter maybe far from ones mind.
Although you may not be using your central heating system quite so often, it is this system that is responsible for providing your home with hot water so is still active. Cookers, ovens and other gas supplied home appliances are also highly likely to still be in use and therefore also capable of creating the highly toxic deadly carbon monoxide gas otherwise known as the "silent killer"
Do not let this matter slip from your mind, ensure your home is fitted with an adequate carbon monoxide alarm ideally every room should have an alarm but at least one per home is essential. It is also vital that your home heating system is checked and serviced by a qualified engineer or plumber, for around fifty to eighty pounds you should be able to get your boilerserviced and a certificate provided.
It is law for United Kingdom landlords to ensure a gas safety inspection and service is carried out on all residential properties and a certificate provided. This is to be done every single year and this will ensure that the central heating and gas appliances are working correctly and that their are no issues that could cause a leak creating the deadly carbon monoxide gas. If you have recently moved in to arental property your landlord must have the central heating system inspected and a brand new certificate provided for all ingoing tenants regardless if the year has passed.
symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms or food poisoning, If you are away from the source of the leak it maybe that your symptoms are reduced and you feel better, This is an indication that their could be a low to mid level leak which is likely to cause irreversible brain damage. If you suspect you or a family member may have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning, you must take everyone away from the source of the leak and into a well ventilated area. Seek immediate emergency medical care. Advise the engineers that you suspect a leak and they will take action to test and shut down the source of the gas. Do not return to the property until it is secure and all actions have been taken correctly. Ensure a fully functioning Carbon Monoxide Alarm is fitted and tested frequently. Do not confuse carbon monoxide alarms with smoke alarms! They DO NOT provide the same function and will not protect you and your family from the deadly carbon monoxide gas.
19 April 2011